Harvesting homemade juice is one of the best methods of preserving the harvest for the winter. The juice of fruits and berries, prepared according to the rules, contains many vitamins and minerals. Juice press is a useful device, used not only in everyday life, but also in production facilities and in large factories. About what types of presses exist and how to choose a good option for personal needs, you can learn from this article.
The process of obtaining juice using a press for squeezing juice
What is a juice press?
A juice press is a special device that allows you to squeeze the juice from apples, grapes, plums, apricots and other types of fruits and berries. Such a device is equipped with a basket for loading raw materials and a pallet into which the juice flows. The basket for raw materials can be wooden or metal, and the pallet is made of a wide variety of materials, including plastic.
Fruits are always ground before laying to make it easier to squeeze the juice. If the fruit is not cut, such as citrus fruits, carrots, it will take a lot of effort to spin.Important! Most of all effort is required when squeezing juice from grass, hard vegetables and some fruits, like pineapple.
After the sliced fruits are placed in the basket, you can start the spinning process. Under the action of the press, which gradually descends, the juice comes out of the fruit and pours out of the basket. And so that the drink is clean, it is filtered with burlap and wooden grates as it goes into the final tray.
Photo of screw press
Kinds of pressesRead also these articles.
- Tomato Pink Giant
- Description and characteristics of the incubator
- Leghorn Chickens
- The best varieties of tomato cream
Press for squeezing juice is of different types. To understand which option is best suited in a particular case, you need to familiarize yourself with them.
Screw presses, they are mechanical, are designed to squeeze the juice from all sorts of fruits. The principle of operation is the squeezing of raw materials by means of a screw to obtain juice. This manual press is of two kinds.
- Screw presscoming from the base - this is a budget option. The advantage of this model is efficiency. But, during operation, the screw touches the juice, because of which, the lubricant gets into the juice and its taste and quality deteriorates. If the screw is not lubricated, it often begins to squeak, wedge. In addition, in similar, cheap versions of the press, the juice tray is of poor quality and after a few years begins to rust or break.
- Frame screw press - the second option, in which the screw is located on top. During operation, it rests against the pad on the piston of the press, so contact with the juice is prevented and the screw lubricant does not get into the drink. They get a lot of juice at a time, but the problem is that such a manual press requires a lot of physical effort. The most popular are small models up to 5 liters.
Screw presses are in considerable demand because of the budget price, but their quality cannot be called the best. They quickly break, a screw without lubrication can creak, but they do an excellent job with their task.
Photo of hydraulic press
This type of press is used to squeeze juice from apples, carrots, currants, grapes and other fruits, vegetables, berries. The hydraulic press is more practical to use and also comes in two forms.
- Jack press. Such a device attracts the attention of a rectangular or square frame, with an emphasis on the jack rod. The jack is always centered above or below the structure. It is very easy to use the jack; this work is for both a man and a woman, because the forces are spent much less. The main problem is that the jack stock for the entire height of the basket is usually not enough. And in order to squeeze out all the juice, it is necessary during the work to enclose wooden bars.
- Press with hydraulic cylinder can be semi-automatic (electric) or manual. The semi-automatic model is powered by electricity and starts at the touch of a button, but the raw materials are always loaded manually. Most often used in industry. Such devices are suitable for squeezing pomegranate juice, pears, greens, pineapple, etc. The press frame has a hydraulic cylinder and a pump that supplies oil to the cylinder. The volume of baskets for models on the market from 50 to 200 liters.
Hydraulic presses are not cheap and if models with a jack are often purchased for domestic needs, the press with a hydraulic cylinder is used only at enterprises selling freshly squeezed juices.
Photo of a combined press
Suitable for squeezing juice from apples, grapes and other berries, vegetables, fruits. In such models there is both a screw and a hydraulic jack. In the first spin, a screw is used, and in the second, a jack. Such a device greatly simplifies the spin cycle and speeds up the process, but it is not cheap either.
Tape press for squeezing juice
These are automatic models of presses that are used in large industries. They are mounted on the lines for the production of juice and operate in automatic mode. Their efficiency is high, but they cannot be used in everyday life.
This is a semi-automatic machine. In this design applies the pressure of water in the water supply. When the fruit is poured into the basket for raw materials, it is covered with a lid. In the middle of the basket there is a rubber membrane that under the pressure of water increases and squeezes the juice.
A press of this type works well. Basket volumes are from 20 to 200 liters, but despite this, such mechanisms are much more expensive than screw or hydraulic ones. Only if the drink is made for sale, the machine will be able to pay back its cost. In addition to the price you need to take into account the fact that the rubber membrane sometimes breaks and you have to replace it. And for the device to work, you need a water supply system with a pressure of 2-3 atmospheres.
Photo Belt Press
How to make a press for squeezing juice do it yourself
Juice press is expensive. Even if you take a cheap option, you have to spend money. To save a little, you can make such a device with your own hands. The device is completed from a frame, a basket for raw materials, a piston and a mechanism that presses the piston (jack). So what is required?
- Welding machine;
- 50 liter tank (you can take the pan);
- Metal corner (40-50 mm) - 3.4 m long;
- Metal channel (10-12х150 mm) - up to 2 m long;
- Oak slats (40x25x400 mm) - 50 pcs .;
- Fabric (sacking) - 1 square meter;
- Fishing line (2 mm) - 3 m.
The most difficult thing is to make a frame. It is the basis of the press and therefore must be reliable, durable, otherwise it may not withstand the load. The sides of the frame are made of corners with a height of 85 mm. The upper and lower parts of the frame are made of a 70 cm long channel. These parts are welded together at the contact points to create a solid frame.
Photo press for squeezing juice do it yourself
On the lower part of the frame, on the channel, the middle is measured, and then a notch is cut there so that a channel of about 35-40 cm in length can be put transversely, it is also welded to prevent it falling out. Thus, a stable frame is obtained on which the tank can easily become. After the design is ready, it is painted.Interesting! The press frame can be made not only from metal, but also from wooden planks with a thickness of at least 5 cm. This option is suitable if the press loads are small.
In the tank of 50 l you need to make a hole for the crane. It is done in the wall, closer to the bottom, so that the juice could flow out easily when the tap is open. The basket for raw materials is constructed of wooden slats. The height of the slats should be no higher than the tank used for the press. Along the edges in the ends they make holes for the fishing line to pass. Then the slats are fastened with fishing line. As the connection, between them leave gaps up to 3 mm, so that the juice can go out, and the flesh remains inside. To the slats are not separated, they can be strengthened with galvanized hoops.
To prevent the pulp from getting into the drink, burlap or similar natural material is attached to the outside and bottom of the rails. The fabric will prevent the pulp from entering the tank and keep it in the basket. The finished basket is installed in the tank.
The press piston is folded from the remaining boards. You need to put their cross on the cross, and cut off all the excess, to get a circle (you can draw it with a compass). The height of the piston is about 5-7 cm, so as not to break under the action of the jack. The diameter of the piston must be such that it can easily enter the wooden basket. Piston rails are fastened with stainless steel screws. It remains to establish a jack in the middle of the piston and you can begin to squeeze the juice.
How to choose a press for squeezing juiceWe recommend reading our other articles.
- The best blue grapes with a description and photo
- Chilli Cucumber
- Apple variety Semerenko
- Raspberry variety Glen Coe
Variants of presses for squeezing juice is enough to confuse during the selection. In order not to spend money for nothing, it is necessary to think in advance how to choose a press, what qualities it should possess.
- The mechanism of work. The manual device does not spend the electric power, work is completely controlled, but also time of extraction of juice will be much longer and for this purpose it is necessary to put a lot of physical efforts. The electric device, as opposed to manual, works faster and does not require physical effort, it allows you to process a large amount of fruits and berries in a short time. However, electronic devices are mainly used in industry and can produce up to 30 liters of juice per hour.
- Volume loading basket. The volume is selected only according to needs. The larger the basket, the more you can process the fruit at a time.
- The materials that make up the device. It is important that not only the basket for raw materials be of high quality, but also the press itself, legs, frame and other details. All of them are checked before purchase. Wooden parts should be made of hard wood, not thin. Among the metal components should not be aluminum, because it quickly deforms. If there are any problems, defects, obvious flaws, then the press will not serve for a long time and it is not expedient to acquire it.
- Purpose There are small models of presses, handmade, carved, which are bought more as a souvenir. For the kitchen they buy a small appliance, up to 5 liters. These models are simple for everyday use - to make a glass of pomegranate juice or orange, apricot for breakfast, for example. If you need a press to get the juice in large volumes and preserve it, then models are purchased for 10-40 liters or more. They occupy a lot of space, but they are convenient and practical for large volumes of vegetables, fruits and berries.
Not the last role is the cost. The most expensive type is a hydraulic press with a membrane, but it is most often purchased for production. And for home use, models of a simpler type are recommended, for example, a screw press, a hand press, or a combination press.