Rabbits of the Rizen breed are also referred to as giant rabbits. Have the greatest prevalence in Europe. This species has very tasty meat, delicate, pleasant fur, for which they are valued by breeders. In terms of content is very profitable, especially if you have your own food supply. Details on the breed Risen can be read below in the article.
How did the breed appear?
From about the XIX century in Germany, work began on the selection of a new, large species of rabbits. The reason was the mass distribution of the Belgian giant rabbits, which were bred in the 16th century in Flanders. In Germany, they did not take root very well, but such a breed would not hurt the German population. Therefore, the breeders decided to bring a local species, ideally adapted precisely to the climate of this country.
The new breed was given a sonorous name - Rizen, which translated means "gigantic". Its main difference from the Belgian rabbit was in the mass, which was 1.2-2 times larger. In 1937, the breed Rizen was officially registered.
Rabbits of breed Rizen can reach a weight of 14 kg
Description of rabbits of breed RizenRead also these articles.
- The best meat breeds of pigs
- Description pepper varieties Atlant
- Tomato variety Lady fingers
- How to plant watermelons with seeds
Rabbits of the Rizen breed can reach a weight of 14 kg, but more often - 10-11 kg. The body is up to 75 cm in length, the girth of the sternum is 40-45 cm. The body is massive, the bones are strong. Paws strong, front straight. The head is large, the cheeks droop a little, especially in adults and elderly individuals. Ears up to 20 cm, erect, but often bend to the side.
The coat is thick, very soft, medium length (4 cm). Color varied: blue, black, white, yellow, gold, agouti, etc.
The nature of individuals is very good-natured, they almost never fight, do not bite. Often they are turned up as domestic rabbits, although an impressive mass of an adult individual requires a large and durable cage, as well as frequent walks (around the apartment). But you need to be very careful with them, since the large size and strong legs allow them to jump a distance of up to 3 meters!
What are the positive qualities of the breed Risen?
The positive qualities of rabbits of the Rizen breed mostly concern their meat and fur coat.
- Slaughter yield 60-61%. Rabbit meat of this species is very juicy and tasty, it does not smell like grass, like in some other breeds.
Interesting! In restaurants in Germany, the best dishes from rabbit (delicacy) are made from meat of the Risen breed.
- The skin is very good, quality, it is easy to sell due to the excellent presentation of the product.
Fertile breed. In litter can be from 8 to 12 rabbits
- Fertile breed. In the litter can be from 8 to 12 rabbits. In this case, females make excellent mothers. They fully care and care for the offspring, the only thing that is needed from the breeder is to feed the female in time and give more often clean water.
- Childbirth in Risen females usually take place without complications, the breeder does not need help!
- Rabbits of breed Rizen quickly become independent. As early as 1 week after birth, they begin to switch to regular food.
What are the negative sides of breeding?We recommend reading our other articles.
- F1 cucumber varieties
- Why do piglets grow poorly and eat
- Periwinkle flower
- Cherry variety Shpanka
What are the bad qualities of rabbits of this breed?
- Normal mass for slaughter reach 12 months! When compared with other breeds, animals usually reach a slaughter mass in 3-6 months. Therefore, the food takes a lot of money.
- The reproductive age of the female comes only at 8 months, and the male at 1 year.
Lack of movement and heavy feeding can lead to obesity.
- Rabbits of the Rizen breed are slow and move a little, even if they make them a very large aviary. Lack of movement and heavy feeding can lead to obesity.
- Requires a lot of space in the cages or in the rabbit.
- If a veterinarian or breeder intervenes during the birth, the female may refuse the baby that the person touched.
How to keep the breed Risen?
Risen can be kept in an apartment, house, special rabbitry (barn), large cages. However, it is important to consider some specific features for their successful content.
- Cleanliness should always come first. Rabbits of the Rizen breed do not tolerate dirt and ammonia odor and can wither from this in the literal sense of the word. So cleaning is done regularly.
- Ventilation, heat, the absence of drafts - the basic rules for the arrangement of the rabbit.
The more space in the cages or rabbitry, the faster develop
- Cages or aviary should be large, as spacious as possible. For this breed, cells buy at least 1 meter in length, 0.7 m in width, and 0.7 m in height.
- The cage for a pregnant female should be 1.5 times larger, and if they contain rabbits in a pen, then they make a special, secluded nest for the female.
Important! The more space in the cages or rabbit, the faster the rabbits of the Rizen breed develop, and the less fat there will be in their meat.
- When kept in a cage, the mesh bottom is covered with a rubber or similar mat. You can also use a thick layer of straw, hay.
- They can withstand frosts only up to -15 degrees, then the ears and paw pads can begin to freeze, rabbits become sluggish, fall ill and die. So the temperature in the room in winter should not be below -10 ... -15 degrees.
- In the summer, keeping them in a sunny location is not recommended. Heat (over +45 degrees), as well as severe cold, they suffer poorly. Cages or animal enclosures are installed in the penumbra, where there is no scorching sun - under a tree, a canopy, behind the house.
How to feed rasen rabbits?
It is most advantageous to keep rabbits of the Rizen breed, if there is a personal forage base. In the presence of a large plot of food for them you can grow yourself with minimal cash investment. If this is not possible, you will have to accept the fact that the monthly cost of feed will be high.
Green fodder dominates in summer and spring
Food should be varied. In summer and spring, green fodder dominates. Before serving, they are dried or dried, as fresh grass can cause constipation and bloating in rabbits. It is also necessary to feed the roots (carrots, beets, potatoes), apples. Mandatory ingredients mash are meat and bone meal, salt. Cereal crops are given in small quantities, it is possible together with mixed feed.
In late autumn and winter, it is worth feeding the rabbits with compound feed, cereals, and hanks of root vegetables. Instead of greenery, they give silage, young branches of trees (fruit and conifers).
Important! From time to time, for the prevention of abdominal distention, the drug "Biomitsin" must be added to the feed, but the dosage is discussed with a veterinarian.
For the day rabbits of the Rizen breed must be fed 2 times. If the animal is clearly the head animal, you can let it gnaw a piece of an apple or a sprig of a fruit tree to temper hunger for the next feed.
Clean, fresh water should always be available in a drinking bowl. In winter, it is warmed up, and in summer it is taken cool, but not cold! Drinking bowls are best used nipple so that the water does not pollute.
Should I vaccinate the breed?
Rabbits of the Rizen breed have a stable immune system, but reinsurance does not hurt, there is more, if we are talking about small rabbits.
Vaccination can be done independently
Vaccinations are performed against viral hemorrhagic disease (HBV) and myxomatosis. These are the most dangerous and common diseases that can cause Risen.
The first vaccination is carried out against HBV in 1.5 months, repeated in 2 months. From myxomatosis, they are vaccinated in 2 months and after another 3 weeks they give another injection. In the future, vaccination is carried out every 2 years.
Vaccination against the diseases described above can be done independently with a conventional insulin injection syringe. The injection is made in the withers, it is important to do everything in gloves, to observe sterility!