Quail breeding is very profitable, but it can be difficult to choose the right breed. Depending on the type, they have a different weight, appearance, productivity, features of the content. The pharaoh quail was a breed bred in the USA. This bird stands out among its relatives by different criteria. It is about her and will be discussed below in the article.
What does the Pharaoh breed look like?
Externally, the breed is similar to some other types of quail, but it also has remarkable qualities due to which they are distinguished. The bird is small, with a dense, rounded body and a small head, on which the curved sharp beak stands out most clearly. The eyes are small, black. The legs are small - the bird is agile.
Quail breed Pharaoh
The plumage of quails is pharaoh brown, but with inserts of different shades: beige, dark, milky, coffee, and so on. Females from males are distinguished by the "necklace" speckled on the chest. The males do not have such a thing, and the marks appear early - in a month you can definitely distinguish them.
What is the breed productivity?Read also these articles.
- Grapes Arcadia
- Merino sheep
- When to plant cucumbers for seedlings in 2019
- Chicken soup
Pharaoh quail - a breed of meat direction, although the rushing females excellent. Bred them for meat and eggs, it is important to note that these quails are very calm and do not cause any inconvenience at all.
- The meat is excellent - dietary, tender and pleasant to the taste. Weight of males - 280-380 g, females - 380-450. As you can see, the males weigh less, so only females are of practical value when breeding. In this case, without males, they will not be carried, so that a small amount is still contained, but all the excess is slaughtered immediately after reaching the maximum body weight.
Productivity of the Pharaoh breed
- Early - large youngsters are slaughtered at the age of 1.5 months, and small individuals at 2 months.
- Quails rush very well - 150-250 eggs a year from one layer. Eggs are average for quails - 12-16 g. Begin to be born from 6-7 weeks. Some breeders note that taking into account simple feeding and the number of eggs produced is the best option.
- Weather conditions do not affect the productivity of the birds - they are carried all year. That is why in the market adult individuals are sold in special cages where trays for collecting eggs are already embedded.
How to keep quarantine Pharaoh?
Breed is considered to be perfect. Quail calm, easy to maintain and maintain. They do not need any expensive cells, feed or additional additives. So, how to contain the Pharaohs?
- Contain quail in cages or in boxes - the first option is preferable. There are special cells for quail, with all the equipment. They are recommended to purchase. But you can make a cage yourself. Height is done - 20 cm. Feeders and drinkers are placed behind the cage so that the birds with their heads sticking out can eat and drink. Also built-in tray for collecting eggs and litter.
Pharaoh quail content
- Many breeders consider breed demanding in terms of temperature content. This is really their only drawback. The ideal temperature in the cage is +20 degrees. When lowering it below 12 or rising above 25 degrees, productivity drops sharply. In hot weather, they lose feathers, so the cages need to be cleaned often, and if the temperature falls below 5 degrees Celsius, the birds may die.
- In one cage you need to have 3-4 males per 1 male. In this case, egg productivity will be stable. If there are more females or males, then the eggs will become much smaller.
- 2-3 times a week, a bath with sand is installed in the cage so that the birds bathe in it, cleaning the feathers.
- Quail Pharaoh is resistant to disease, but examinations of veterinarians do not interfere, especially if meat or eggs are sold.
What to feed?We recommend reading our other articles.
- Why do not rush quails
- Bedding for pigs with bacteria
- Ways of planting potatoes
- White goose
Many breeders who did not start quail earlier have problems with feeding. The pharaoh quail - the bird is simple, however, if improperly fed, it can begin to vilify, ache, and the like. It is important to remember that quails need a balanced diet, otherwise it is useless to start them.
When buying quails, it is recommended to immediately purchase a mixture in the same place, which they were fed about 1 month in advance. During this time, you can transfer the birds to another diet gradually, if you do it abruptly, they will start to hurt or productivity decreases.
Feeding quail Pharaoh
The basis of the diet of adults is wheat and ground corn. Other grain should be no more than 10%. As mandatory daily supplements are: meal and fish meal. Chalk and seashells are also given. At first, the young are fed boiled eggs, and later they add grain or mixed fodder.
It is recommended to buy a special balanced feed for quails. In this case, problems with the digestion of birds should arise. They will quickly grow, develop and will soon give the first laying. For birds up to 3 weeks, PK-5 compound feed is bought, up to 1.5 months - PK-6 and shells, and after 1.5 months - PK-1 or PC-2 with daily addition of shells.
Water for quails should always be in the drinking trough - they drink a lot. Change it at least 3 times a day.
How to breed quail breed Pharaoh?
You need to buy young for breeding very carefully. Finding the Pharaoh breed in the market is very difficult. Vendors enjoy the inexperience of buyers, they can deceive, and Pharaoh's quail breed is similar to many other species: Japanese, Estonian, and so on. Therefore, it is recommended to buy birds from friends or to take eggs from the same friends and display in the incubator in order to get the first, purebreds.
Scheme of a small-sized incubator
When grown in an incubator, eggs take no older than 7 days. Place in an incubator, turn over 3 times a day. After 17 days, the young appear, which is highly recommended to keep in a safe brooder.
The first 10 days the temperature in the brooder is 38.5 degrees, the next 6 days - 38 degrees, and on the last day 37.5 degrees.
Pharaoh chicks are very hardy compared to other types of quail. At first, the indoor temperature is 37.5 degrees, and over the month it is gradually reduced to 25 degrees above zero. The light is also on all the time, but in 30 days it should be reduced to 17 hours a day.