Growing parsley from seeds outdoors is a fairly easy process. The plant germinates well in almost any soil. Used in medicine, cosmetology, cooking. It is grown at home, in a greenhouse, but the article will discuss how to grow parsley in the open ground from seeds.
What are the features of the choice of parsley seeds?
Parsley is leaf and root. The first has an underdeveloped root system, only its above-ground, leafy, aromatic part is eaten. The second one has rather tough leaves, and its root grows large, similar to an elongated root crop, like carrots. It is this part that is used in medicine, cosmetology and cooking.
Leaf parsley is of two subspecies - curly and smooth. The most popular curly varieties:
- "Mooskrause 2".
From sheet recommended:
Parsley root is very useful, but not very popular. The main, most livable varieties include:
- "The final";
How to prepare the ground for parsley?Read also these articles.
- Bashkir duck
- Jam from apples for the winter
- The best early grapes
- How to care for a horse
Preparing the soil for parsley
The plant is two years old. The cultivation of parsley from seeds in open ground is made on a sunny or semi-shaded area. It will be able to sprout well, for example, under a tree. Tomatoes, potatoes, pumpkins, onions or cabbage can be precursors of a crop on a plot. As for beets and carrots, as well as parsley itself, you can plant greens in their place after 2-3 years.
It is best to choose a soil of medium acidity or with a high level. A loose soil is suitable, albeit in a heavy one, it also grows, only slowly, and in this case it is recommended to plant a leaf, rather than a root species.
Land preparation is made in autumn. In order to increase its nutritional value, mineral and organic fertilizers are applied. For loose soil suitable bird droppings, compost, for heavy - humus, peat. Of mineral fertilizers recommended potassium salt and superphosphate. The earth is being dug up.
In spring, the earth can be fertilized with wood ash or urea; sometimes ammonium nitrate is used. After fertilization, the soil is dug up and loosened.
How to process seeds and sow parsley?
Special seed treatments may not be performed, but if it is known that the plant grows poorly on the site, then one day before sowing, it is soaked in a weak solution of potassium permanganate. If quick shoots are needed, then after the seeds have been soaked in potassium permanganate, they are spread in a wet cloth and the sprouts are expected. Only after this can seeding be done. In this case, the crops will grow on day 14. In the case when dry seeds are used for sowing, seedlings will appear within 21 days.
Seed preparation and parsley sowing
You can plant parsley in early spring, the plant is not afraid of small frosts. In some cases, it is sown in the fall, around October or early November, in order to obtain early shoots.
For sowing furrows are made (depth 2 cm) in the ground of the desired length. Between the rows should be 15 cm of free space. Burnt lime is poured into the furrows twice with an interval of 15 minutes. After an hour you can sow parsley. After sowing, they are covered with earth and lightly tamped down the ground. Above the garden bed can be compressed with compost or humus. This method allows you to get quick shoots and a large crop for sale or for harvesting for the winter.
In the case when the cultivation of parsley from seeds in open ground is made for oneself, a simplified method is applied. Planting material is sown in the same depth of the furrow, then it is poured with earth and slightly tamped. If the land is good and fertile, then this simple method will bring good, friendly shoots in a short time.
How to care for parsley?We recommend reading our other articles.
- What and how many times a day to feed the rabbits
- The best varieties of cherry tomatoes with a description and photo
- Durum Wheat
- How to sprout wheat for chickens
It is not difficult to care for parsley, it will grow even close to the weed. However, if the product goes on sale, or simply requires a high-quality, fast and rich harvest, it is recommended to provide it with the most pleasant conditions for development. The easier it will grow, the faster it will germinate.
Care for parsley
- Watering is the most important stage of care, as the plant is moisture-loving. Watering is necessary from time to time when the soil dries. And during the summer drought, the process is carried out 2 times more often. For root parsley, watering becomes more frequent in August. It is this month that the root is rapidly growing and developing.
- Weeds are desirable to remove more often, especially if we are talking about the root parsley. A weed can damage the root or take all the moisture.
- Growing parsley from seeds in the open field suggests timely loosening of the soil every 3-4 days. This is done with a hoe at a small depth around the seedlings so as not to damage the roots.
- Thinning is done only for root parsley. The sheet is cut off from time to time, so here the process is natural. But at the root of the greens hard, it is rarely eaten, and without thinning the roots will interfere with each other to grow, so as soon as the plant has risen it should be thinned so that between individual shoots there is a space of 3 cm. After 3 weeks between individual root crops was 10 cm.
- Parsley has few pests and diseases: aphid, white spotting, carrot fly larvae, rust, stem nematode, carrot leaf, white rot. If a problem is identified, the affected shoots are removed. As for the processing of the rest, then if you use it, it is exclusively natural, organic means, since parsley is consumed daily in food.