Most trees are fertilized in the fall, but feeding the cherries in the spring can provide the plant with essential minerals and vitamins for enhanced growth, development and yield. About the right technology, types of fertilizers, time for the procedure and will be discussed in the article.
Why feed the cherries in the spring?
Virtually every cherry tree can produce crops annually, less often - in a year. Then why is it necessary to feed the cherry regularly in the spring? Experienced gardeners state with confidence that only with proper care (pruning, watering, feeding) you can achieve maximum yield. And this is not a handful of painful fruit on compote, but 10-25 kg, depending on the variety, a healthy product without damage and diseases.
Top dressing and processing of cherry in the spring
Spring feeding gives impetus to the development of the plant. After a long winter, the tree needs additional nutrition, which provides fertilizer application. Due to such a simple case, late frosts, pest activity and diseases cannot annoy the cherry.
It is especially important to feed young trees. They are still too weak to give a big harvest, but they need to take root well, to start an enhanced growth. Therefore, fertilizer for them is applied throughout all three warm seasons: spring, summer and autumn.
When to feed the cherries?Read also these articles.
- Horse Vladimirsky heavy truck
- Angular honey and its properties
- Variety of strawberry Ruyan
- Variety pear Memory Yakovlev
The first top dressing of cherries in spring is made before the tree blossoms. Fertilizer is brought under the tree trunk. Spraying is impractical because there are no leaves on the cherry yet. When the cherry blossoms, you can make a second feeding - again at the root. The third time you can fertilize the cherry after flowering at the root or by spraying, depending on the type of substance.
What to feed?
Depending on how old the tree is in the garden, certain fertilizers are used as a top dressing for cherries in the spring.
A young tree from one to three years will need enhanced development in order for it to take root well and start growing. Nitrogen substances can help him most in this matter. They are indispensable for young trees. Ammonium sulfate, urea, calcium and ammonium nitrate are nitrogen fertilizers.
Cherry processing schedule
If ammonia substances are used as feed, it is important to correctly calculate the rate. When the quantity is not enough, the effect will not be clear, but if you make a lot of feeding, more than the norm, the plant will slow down growth, it can become painful, low-yielding.
Phosphate-potassium fertilizer is used for large plants aged 3 years. It nourishes them, stimulates the development of buds, flowers.
In addition to these two dressings, there are many others. From organic fertilizers for cherries manure, compost, humus, peat will be useful.
What is fertilizer application technology?We recommend reading our other articles.
- Early varieties of plums
- Cabbage variety Kolobok F1
- The best varieties of sweet pepper
- Feed Yeast
The method of feeding depends on the age of the tree.
- When planting in the spring in the pit for the tree laid several types of fertilizers. It may be mineral or organic matter. And after that, throughout the season, the tree does not feed anything.
- In the second year after the growth of the tree, in the spring it is necessary to make nitrogen. 120 grams of fertilizer is poured around the trunk and covered with a thick layer of earth (10 cm). In addition, during May 2-3 times, you can additionally fertilize it with urea with prematurely diluted with water according to the instructions. Usually take 20 grams of funds per 10 liters of water. After watering the land is important to loosen!
- In the fourth year, the roots are already well formed, so fertilizers need much more. A medium depth (not to the roots) of a 30 cm wide furrow is made around the trunk. 150-180 grams of urea is introduced into it, then it is buried. The last thing you need to do - pour a little water.
- Beginning in the fifth year, in addition to nitrogen and urea, wood ash, superphosphate (100 g), humus and potash salt (bucket) are brought around the tree trunk in the spring.
- After 8 years of life, the tree is already considered old, in order to produce a good, rich harvest it needs a lot of care. Fertilizers will need to be made three times more.
An important point in the dressing of cherries is its natural development. It is advisable to fertilize a tree, provided it grows very slowly (less than 50 cm increase in shoots per year). If it develops well without fertilizers, then fertilizing will not give any effect to the tree and so gives the maximum growth and yield.